"Don't be a realist. Our world needs dreamers. Be an incurable optimist. And see your reality change. See it change beyond what you can imagine."
- Auriela McCarthy

To visit Auriela's Website click here: Auriela McCarthy

Monday, September 7, 2009

Taking Time Off to Enjoy

.
This week's Food for Thought.

It's Labor Day Weekend...I hope you took time off work and had a great time! Especially those of you who are working for yourselves. You know what I am talking about :). You never seem to catch up, something always remains undone. The best time to do it is during the holiday weekend, right?
Wrong.
Taking time off to enjoy yourself and to have fun is one of the most underrated things in our world. Yet, if you don't do it, how easy it is to slide into the "overworked, underpaid, unappreciated" state.

You need rest, you need to have fun and to learn how to do it consciously. And how wonderful it is that - if you haven't yet learned how to give yourself permission to do it - our world gives you the official "go ahead" on the few designated days we have come to call "the holidays." So enjoy!

And as for never being able to catch up with things - I know the place only too well.

Here is how I learned to deal with it.

One day, faced with the never ending to do list, I simply stopped.
A light bulb went on in my head. It was never going to happen, this "catching up" thing, I told myself. There will always be more "things". It was a simply a fact of life.

This sudden realization changed everything.
I relaxed, I laughed to myself, and then - I accepted it.
It was the way it was. No longer a problem.
Now, as long as I am not letting anyone down, and as long as I am not on a deadline, I don't drive myself crazy. I do things in stride. And I hardly ever rush. Yes. It's true. I hate rushing, in fact I am convinced I am allergic to it :).

What about you?


All for now.

Love, Auriela
.

No comments:

ShareThis